Sunday, October 3, 2010

Laboring at Capitol Reef

This last Labor Day, I did not have to labor in the normal way. Instead, I got to labor by hiking through and camping in Capitol Reef National Park. This park is located in south central Utah near the thriving metropolitan area of Torrey, Utah. It is one of the least visited national parks in the country. That is a sad statistic for this beautiful park in Utah's red rock country.

Since we had never been there, Jess and I packed up Logan and brought along our friends John and Holly for a three day adventure to this incredible park. Come along as we share our adventure with you.


While Jess and I were at Capitol Reef, we each picked out a "castle."


I think my "castle" was cooler.

Logan and I peering through a hole in the rock.

John and Holly above and Jess and I below what we thought was our destination: a natural bridge.

Turns out this was the natural bridge the hike led to.  Much bigger and much cooler.

Logan and I checking out some petroglyphs.

Logan's pose was highly entertaining to John.

Ancient Indian hand trap.

Pioneer road through a deep slot canyon.

This formation had a name, but I can't remember.  What would you name it?

Egyptian temple.

John and Holly melting from the radiation emanating from an old Uranium mine. 

Uranium mined here was used by pioneers for medicinal purposes.  Probably didn't work out for them quite the way they hoped.

Road through Capitol Reef.

Logan and I at our destination...

...old Pioneer water storage.

Jess with her hiking "game face" on.


Overlooking a deep canyon at the north end of the park.

Same canyon but looking to the south.  We were standing on a very sturdy rock that wasn't as close to the cliff as it appears in this photo.  No dangling baby Logan for a photo op.

Needless to say, this was a very fun trip to Capitol Reef.  We are trying to take advantage of all the beautiful places in Utah that we have not had the opportunity to visit.  I would recommend this park to anyone.

1 comment:

  1. That does look like a beautiful park, we'll definitely put it on our list of destinations once we get back to the US.

    ReplyDelete