Thursday, June 25, 2009

One garden to rule them all...

I have had several requests to blog about the garden. Okay, actually, just one. But, it was from my most adoring fan, Brian. So, here goes. We have a garden. It is in the midst of weeds that have exploded in the last few weeks because of the unusually wet summer we have been having. It has been great for our garden, but we are fighting back the weeds.

If any of you are wondering about what plants work best in what soil type, don't ask me, unless your soil is an undeveloped light brown clayish soil. That's as technical as I'll get. But radishes and potatoes do amazing in this type of soil. We have already picked a slew of radishes, and our potatoes have exploded. After a scary start, the tomatoes are also doing well. Most everything else is growing pretty good, but some look like they are barely hanging on, like the cantaloupe. Which wouldn't be the worst thing, because then if it dies, I won't have to figure out how to spell it in the next blog about our fruits o'plenty.

If the vegetables were in a race, I'd say the radishes have it, followed by the potatoes, and in a close third the tomatoes. The peppers, beats, zucchini, squash, onions, pumpkin are in the middle running, with the carrots, cucumbers, strawberries and watermelon taking up the rear. It seems the cantaloupe have dropped out of the running. Go banana!


The wind continually beats on our garden. I protected the tomatoes, peppers, and strawberries with cages and plastic. They started out pretty sad looking, but have since more than recovered. Our tomato plants are bursting through the plastic, and I'd say it is almost time to take it off. We had another storm tonight, so Jess thought we should wait. Maybe this weekend, they will feel free again.

So, without boring my faithful blog readers with more garden stories, I'd just like to say that we are excited about eating potato-radish stew this year. Come on over if you want to give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. Nate, your garden blog post per request did not disappoint. Doesn't it feel good to work the land? I don't personally know, but have heard that it's good.

    Your blog is one I look forward to reading. Other blogs I just have Q summarize the important points in a memo. (Time to write another delicious memo. Brian, is that my good butter? ...mmm memo)

    One garden to rule them all... If there were one brother to rule them all, it would be me, but I would at least give you a ring of power.

    Can't wait for the next delicious post...

    ReplyDelete